Yesterday I spent a couple of hours in the LDS family history library in Parktown, Johannesburg, looking at bishops transcripts of parish records from Lanacaster, Lancashire, England.The families i was looking for were Cottam, Bagot (or Bagott) and Mashiter.
Some of the pages were damaged, so I wasn’t able to read the full record, and none of the people I found in the records appeared to be related — yet. But in some ways the Bishops Transcripts were more useful than the original registers, as they showed separately the baptisms, marriages and burials that took place in the different chapelries in the parish.
The main family I’m looking for is:
Family Group Report
For: Richard Cottam (ID= 225)
Date Prepared: 19 Sep 2008
NAME: COTTAM, Richard, Born ??? 1812 in Heaton with Oxcliffe, Died ???
MARRIED, to BAGOT, Margaret, Born 22 Jan 1811 in Lancaster, LAN, ENG,
Died ???; FATHER: BAGOT, John; MOTHER: MASHITER, Dorothy
1. M COTTAM, John Bagot, born 30 Jul 1836 in Manchester, died
3 Jun 1911 in Durban; Married 8 Jul 1858 to HERBERT,
Adelaide; 8 children
2. F COTTAM, Mary, born Oct 1838 in Manchester, died ???;
Married 27 Jan 1859 to WORRALL, John Stringer; 6 children
3. F COTTAM, Betsey Jane, born May 1839 in Manchester, died
???; Married 15 Jun 1863 to BENNETT, Stanley Cracroft; 1
4. M COTTAM, James, born Jul 1841 in Manchester, died ???
5. M COTTAM, William Henry, born 15 Jun 1843 in Manchester,
England, died 15 May 1914 in Natal; Married ??? 1878 to
JACKSON, Harriet Mary; 1 child
6. F COTTAM, Lucy, born Oct 1845 in Manchester, died ???;
Married May 1874 to TRAVERSE, Thomas; 1 child
7. F COTTAM, Sarah Ellen, born ??? 1850? in Manchester, died
From ??? 1843 Until ??? 1858
Address: 6 London Road, Manchester, Lancs, England UK
Worked as Ironmonger from ??? 1843 until ??? 1858
I’m especially interested in finding Richard Cottam’s parents, as that might link him to a lot of other Cottams that lived in the area.